Terrorist PKK keeps up violence as BDP returns to Parliament

The outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) is continuing to stage attacks as the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) readies to end its boycott of Parliament and take the oath of office on the first day of the new legislative year on Saturday.

Counterterrorism units detained 31 people on Friday in operations in İstanbul, Tekirdağ and Şanlıurfa carried out against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party.

Counterterrorism units detained 31 people on Friday in operations in İstanbul, Tekirdağ and Şanlıurfa carried out against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party.

Following a Party Council (PM) meeting held in the predominantly Kurdish province of Diyarbakır on Wednesday, the BDP announced it will be in Parliament on Saturday, the day Parliament convenes following its summer recess.

The party has been boycotting Parliament in protest of the imprisonment of six of its deputies. Thirty-six independent deputies supported by the pro-Kurdish BDP were elected in the June 12 elections. However, six of them are currently under arrest as part of the Kurdish Communities’ Union (KCK) trial. The BDP decided to boycott Parliament after the Supreme Election Board (YSK) stripped Hatip Dicle, one of the six jailed BDP deputies, of his mandate because of a prior terrorism-related conviction after the June 12 vote. The party’s decision to return to Parliament has raised hopes about finding a solution to Turkey’s long-standing Kurdish and terrorism problems under the roof of Parliament; however, the PKK continued to perpetuate its attacks on Friday.

The terrorist organization, which has escalated violence in the country over the past months, killed two soldiers and injured three others by firing on a military unit patrolling near the Beytüşşebap district of the southeastern province of Şırnak on Friday.

Initial reports said three terrorists including a senior PKK leader were also killed in the ensuing clash.

Ballistics report refutes PKK’s claims in Batman attack

A ballistic examination into the scene of a PKK attack in Batman earlier this week, which claimed the lives of a pregnant woman and her six-year-old daughter, has refuted PKK claims that the woman and child were killed by bullets from the guns of the police.

Teams from the Batman Police Department, which started an investigation following the attack, sent all the evidence and cartridges at the site of the attack to a lab in Diyarbakır. The ballistic report shows that the cartridges found at the scene were from the guns of the PKK terrorists. The same report also refuted a claim by the PKK regarding the killing of a worker by policemen in southeastern Turkey.

On Thursday, Batman police released video footage that showed in detail how PKK terrorists opened fire on civilians in this week’s attack.

In the meantime, counterterrorism units from the İstanbul Police Department detained 15 people on Friday in an operation carried out against the PKK.

The suspects, who are accused of having taken part in some terrorist attacks and of preparing for other attacks, were detained during raids on several premises in a number of districts, including Bağcılar and Esenler. They were questioned by police and then referred to the courthouse for further interrogation by prosecutors.


30 September 2011, Friday / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL